Taking Care of You
It’s important to know the source of your seafood because not all measure up the same. Some seafood is caught or farmed under regulations that protect the health of the folks that eat seafood as well as the health of the marine environment and the animals that live within it; however, some is not. Choosing Ruby Salts, and other Virginia seafood helps conserve our ocean resources and supports the economies and communities that ensure our seafood is safe, healthy, and sustainable.
Oysters are good for you!
Oyster are one of the most nutrient packed foods with the lowest calories vs. the volume of serving size.
6 medium Oysters (raw) contain:
- 50 Calories
- 1 gram of Fat
- 0 grams saturated fat
- 1/3 of your daily requirement of Protein
- 4% of your daily allowance of Calcium for strong bones & teeth
- 7% of your daily allowance of Vitamin C to fight colds and cancer
- 27% of your daily allowance of Iron to deliver oxygen throughout your body
- 215% of your daily allowance of Zinc to maintain a healthy immune system
- 230% of your daily allowance of Vitamin B12 to fight environmental pollutants
- 77% of your daily allowance of Selenium, an antioxidant to fight cancer
- 123% of men’s & 74% of womens daily allowance of Omega 3 Fatty Acids for less painful joints, less wrinkles, and lower blood pressure
Shellfish pose no danger to cholesterol levels and instead show evidence of raising HDLs (good cholesterol levels) and lowering LDL’s (bad cholesterol levels).
Oysters fight cancer!
Oysters contain fat compounds, ceramides, that can block the blood supply to a tumor and preventing it from growing. These same compounds make cancer cells more vulnerable to chemotherapy drugs.
A study found Oyster ceramides fought both hormone-dependent and hormone-independent breast tumor cells in test tubes and killed them within 48 hours. Blood vessel growth that stimulates cancer cell growth dropped by 57% in seven days, with no adverse side effects.
Research has shown inflammation of the prostate is almost always seen before the onset of cancer. This swelling could be reduced by the appropriate zinc intake. An oyster contains 10 times more zinc to the nearest source of red meat.
Ruby Salts operates in compliance with all necessary state, federal, and local regulations and works closely with local departments of the Virginia Department of Health, Division of Shellfish Sanitation, the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, and the Virginia Marine Resources Commission. We are a member of the Shellfish Growers of VA, registered with the Virginia Department of Agriculture Virginia Grown program, and Virginia Aquaculture Oyster Growers.